Raised Panel and Flat Panel Kitchen Cabinets are the most popular in North America. The Flat Panel Kitchen Cabinet is a more traditional style, with the doors and drawer fronts that all have a flat surface.
The Raised Panel Kitchen Cabinet has raised surfaces on the doors and drawer fronts, which are more decorative.
Kitchen Cabinets were traditionally handcrafted, usually by cabinet makers or carpenters. Today they are manufactured in factories and shipped directly to big-box stores, hardware stores, and specialty retailers.
In this article am going to differentiate between 2 main types of cabinets, which are raised panel kitchen cabinets and flat panel kitchen cabinets.
Features of Raised Panel Kitchen Cabinets.
- The main features of the raised panel kitchen cabinets are that they are more decorative than flat-panel cabinets because it has a raised door and drawer fronts have a raised surface.
- They are more decorative than flat-panel cabinets, which makes them suitable for formal dining rooms and other rooms where a more traditional style is desired.
- The raised surfaces may be shaker style, which have a horizontal grooving running through them, or they may take on other appearances, such as chamfered edges.
- The raised surfaces are typically finished with paint but other finishes may also be applied.
- Raised panel kitchen cabinets are more difficult to reface than flat-panel cabinets and thus typically cost more.
Benefits of Raised panel kitchen cabinets
- The main benefit of the Raised panel kitchen cabinets are that they are more decorative than flat-panel cabinets because it has a raised door and drawer fronts have a raised surface.
- Easy to install.
- Kitchen cabinets have a very attractive appearance which adds to the décor of your kitchen.
- It is also possible to get additional features built into the cabinet such as decorative glass, wine racks, and other storage options which can be built into the cabinets.
Some of the features of a Flat Panel Kitchen Cabinet are:
1.It’s appearance is more traditional because the doors and drawer fronts are all flat, with no raised surface.
2. It requires fewer materials to construct than a raised panel kitchen cabinet, which makes it more cost-effective for the homeowner.
3. It’s a more economical alternative to raised panel kitchen cabinets.
4. The flat-panel door makes it easier to clean.
5. The flat-panel door does not collect dust as easily as a raised panel.
6. It has less of an impact on the decor of a room, thus it can be used in any room where aesthetics are less important.
7. The flat-panel door typically is finished with paint but it can also be stained or covered with wood veneer.
8. The flat-panel kitchen cabinet is easier to reface than a raised panel kitchen cabinet.
Benefits of flat-panel kitchen cabinet
- It has a more traditional appearance.
- Lower cost than the raised panel kitchen cabinet.
- Easy and economical to make your own customizations such as adding decorative glass
- Great for cleaning since there are no groves to attract dust.
- Disadvantages of Raised Panel Kitchen Cabinets
- Cost-effective. It has less of an impact on the décor of a room, thus it can be used in any room where aesthetics are less
Choosing the right Kitchen Cabinet for your needs can be challenging because of all the options available. However, it doesn’t have to be overwhelming if you understand what your options are and why one type of cabinet is better than the other for your needs.